PlanetGriff.com Forum Index

Register

PlanetGriff.com Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

These forums are now closed are remain visible only for historical interest. If you wish to discuss Griff, please visit our Facebook Discussions. Thank you.

XDA / Voice Stream Pocket PC phone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlanetGriff.com Forum Index -> PlanetGriff News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: XDA / Voice Stream Pocket PC phone Reply with quote

HTC - the ubiquitous Pocket PC manufacturer / designer from Taiwan has come up with this GPRS enabled pocket PC which, in the UK is called the XDA and in the US is the Voice Stream Pocket PC phone. I had a go on of these the other day, and first impressions are good. Good points - it is a pocket PC and a phone. Bad points - only 32Mb of RAM, limited expansion capabilities (though an integral SD slot helps). The question had got to be whether or not Mr Consumer will regard this as a hi-tech phone and consequently upgrade, or just a badly shaped phone with excessive price and functionality and consequently avoid it. Me, I don't want to be carrying loads of things around, and a phone that runs Griff helps me to make up my mind.
the DustRoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: XDA II Reply with quote

Smile Hi all, I'm new to the world of Griff but after upgrading my old Sony Ericsson to a shiny new O2 XDAII I've finally entered the mobiloe PC world properly.

Let me say that the XDAII as absolutely brilliant, I used to have a work's iPAQ a while back and that was nowhere near as good as this beast.

The XDAII is pretty much fully loaded too, Xscale PXA 263, 400MHz - 128 MB SDRAM, 64 MB ROM and an SD/IO slot to boot.

It comes with leather case, stereo headset and of course the little docking station (badly designed IMHO but still...).

Griff runs beautifully on it and is allowing me to create my tunes and ideas whilst on the train to work! Very Happy
aZooZa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an i-mate which is the same as the XDA II and there's no way on earth I can get Griff to work. I first sent (demo version) it to the storage card and the icon wouldn't appear properly, so I reset it and the Griff icon appeared OK. When I clicked on it I just got the hourglass thingie for ages so I had to reset.

Next, tried to install it to main memory, and after that, NO icon whatsoever to be found!

If I could get this to work I'd like to buy the whole shooting match but, what gives on this Pocket PC? If you have it working on the XDA II then it should work on my i-mate!

Any suggestions gratefully received Cool
daniel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aZooZa,

the i-mate should work.

The problem is probably the installation. Unfortunately the PocketPC method of installing software sucks a little. If you install to the storage card, you have to do a little manual work.

1. Install to storage card.
2. use the file explorer to navigate to the /Storage Card/Cobwebb Griff folder and tap on Griff. Griff should start up but may complain about not being able to find certain folders. Keep clicking OK till you don't get anymore complaints. The only thing that now works is the menu. Go into Tools | Options | Folders and set the folders to the correct paths. Then quit and restart Griff. Everything should be fine.

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
http://www.planetgriff.com
aZooZa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Such a shame -- I can't get it to work at all. It says the CAB files are invalid when I click as suggested on the Storage Card... I REALLY want this program -- can you maybe re-visit the installation package method?

Thanks!
daniel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aZooZa,

Can you follow the installation instructions [url=http://www.PlanetGriff.com/griff_installation.php
]here[/url] and let me know at which step your installation differs ?

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
aZooZa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

I managed to install it -- main memory for now Smile Had to install it twice for some reason to get the 'help' file to work.

This software is AMAZING.

You'll see I've bought every module possible...

Fantastic piece of work!
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aZooZa,

Thanks very much, hope you get as much pleasure out of Griff as we do.

Can't wait to hear what you do with Griff. (Upload your tunes here

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
aZooZa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibilities are so endlless I don't know where to start, but I will sure have something to upload once I've discovered all the possibilities, which could be a good while Very Happy

I just cannot believe how you've crammed all this into the PPC environment. Unlike every other DSP-intensive software, this has NEVER crashed on me (yet)!

I was wondering whether there was some way of getting a MIDI keyboard feed into it so I could get some sections laid in real time? Is that something you guys have in mind? Also, there's a guy (forget the URL) that has written an HTTP (PHP) MIDI>Griff convertor. That works great too. You just upload a MIDI file and it sends you back a Griff XML file -- how cool is that?! (It's also a solution for the realtime keyboard input actually.)

Classical is my genre and I first thought that this was going to be another 'techno/trance' jammer - but whoaaa! Griff will do anything!

Cheers Daniel!

Razz
ade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: regcode problem...... Reply with quote

The battery recently runout on my ipaq (on holiday). I didn't know about the memory wiping when this happens so I figured it was being cranky (old secondhand unit) so I reloaded griff...only to get an error message saying the regcode is invalid.
I can still log onto the website without problem and have had griff via this code for over a year so I know it is good.
I have checked for any regfile that may be lurking but cannot find anything.
Can anyone help?!!
I have sent several mails to griff tech & retail but they are not responding Shocked (and sorry to you guys but where is the customer support for this product?)
daniel

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ade,

We're very proud of our customer support, unfortunately you emailed me whilst I was away on holiday. Since then we've sent you four emails attempting to get in touch. I'm still not sure what the problem was (I blame hotmail - we've had other problems with hotmail and aol blacklisting planetgriff.com for a period of time due to the amount of trash email traffic being generated by other peoples infected pc's).

Anyway here is a copy of the original email we sent.. Let us know if this doesn't solve the problem.

Adrian,

I apologise again for being late with a response - This is a copy of the email I sent you yesterday.
I'd appreciate if you could let me know if you receive it, the last one must have got lost somewhere...

adrian,

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner - I've just come back from holiday so you've been sitting in my inbox.

> be good: I
> don't want to invest time learning & using a product that may end
> up being
> obsolete in the near future.

It's true we're not developing for Griff at present, mainly because we've reached a level of functionality that we feel makes a well rounded musical instrument.

As for your installation woes, things should all 'just work'. I highly reccommend copying and pasting your email and registration code from this email into the installation dialog box on the PC. You can safely reinstall Griff over the top of a previous installation. Make sure Griff is not running on the pocketpc - File | Exit from the Griff Menu. Then Start up Griff. You should get the splash screen with thank you for registering. If not let me know exactly what the dialog box message says and where you are installing Griff if it is not the default location.
Regards

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
daniel

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian,
I believe this email didn't reach you either so I'm posting it here in the hope that you read this thread again.

============================================================

adrian,

we've been trying to contact you for a while. I've replied to you in the forum:
http://www.planetgriff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19

and 4 times by email. I think our domain was blacklisted by hotmail for a while, maybe its cleared up by now - we'll see if you get this mail!!

Anyway we take support of Griff very seriously. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but we have been trying very hard to reach you.

Glad you've got it sorted out anyway.

Regards

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: adrian sharon
> Sent: 11 May 2004 17:36
> To: info@planetgriff.com; tech@planetgriff.com; retail@planetgriff.com
> Subject: RE: Griff Registration Code SOLVED?
>
>
> Well I think i've solved this off my own back and largely by
> fluke but I am
> stunned that a small company with what appears to be less than 200
> registered users fails to follow-up on the simplest email request
> - now i'm
> not naturally upfront like this but I am going to be candid and say your
> customer service is worthless (and I am qualified to make such a
> statement):
> Care to offer an explanation?
>
> Please do not take this as being malicious but I can only assume
> one of the
> following applies:
> a) you've gone bust
> b) you've ditched griff and support for other options (or sold
> the product)
> c) you are neglecting the business management of the product
>
> If you've gone bust then that'll be a shame but you should post
> something on
> the forum - likewise if you can no longer support this product for any
> reason, especially if you're conjuring up something better - we are the
> captive audience after all.
>
> If you're genuinely neglecting support from bad business sense
> then perhaps
> you shouldn't be in business. I'm not being nasty but look at what you
> potentially have here - a studio which blows any other handheld music app
> out of the water (that I am aware of) so much so that I'd put
> money on some
> like Steinberg have already sniffed around this for a licencing deal?
>
> (I'm actually surprised no of the big players have jumped on the
> band wagon
> yet)
>
> I'd even go as far as saying that if you convert the sampler to take MP3
> files (not sure if it does?) then you could flog the licence to
> someone like
> O2 to install on their PDA range - given that mobiles are becoming more
> MP3/PDA orientated as each generation arrives.
> I am sure if owned your products rights that'd be the avenue i'd be
> investigating.
>
> Forget these crappy polyphonic ringtones - cut and create your own with
> griff - that's what I intend in the future!
>
> Again, I apologise if the nature of this mail isn't great reading
> but I do
> think you got issues.
> Ade

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
olly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same problem with the xda 2 it wont install i tried 4 times now ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
posters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: smartphone load-up instructions Reply with quote

Mornings

I've been looking into signing up for this product; having been fortunate enough to borrow an ipaq for a weekend with this already onboard...
However I want to put it on a qtek 8080 smartphone..
Having read the conversation between aZooZa and Daniel before Xmas, I remember Daniel supplied further instructions on how to get this onto a smartphone but i'm assuming that info got wiped from the forum?

Can someone please post up a step-by-step guide or even let me know if this is going to be happening on my phone - i've tried installing the demo and it fails me out - cab file problems and such (not even sure I got as for as trying to get it onto the storage card)...

please help - i'm sure this'll be something requested again in the future anyway when smartphones (or equivelant) really take hold..

cheers guys Shocked
daniel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posters,

Sorry mate but Griff is not compatible with a Smartphone .

Griff is compatible with the PocketPC Operating system, of which the 'PocketPC Phone Edition' or whatever is one.

Basically if it says 'PocketPC' on it you're ok.

Oh yeah and then there's WME which I believe stands for Windows Media Edition. Now did the PocketPC get renamed WME 2003 or is that just my fever ?

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlanetGriff.com Forum Index -> PlanetGriff News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: