PlanetGriff.com Forum Index

Register

PlanetGriff.com Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

These forums are now closed are remain visible only for historical interest. If you wish to discuss Griff, please visit our Facebook Discussions. Thank you.

Watch out for snowballs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlanetGriff.com Forum Index -> PlanetGriff News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Watch out for snowballs. Reply with quote

PlanetGriff has launched an automated interactive e-mail jam session (maybe the first of its kind) for Griff citizens. Its name is Snowball.

Basically, once signed up for a Snowball, a Griff citizen receives a Griff file in rotation with which he/she/it can apply his/her/its musical touch and then return it to Snowball central. This is then passed on to the next person in the Snowball etc., resulting in a collaborative e-jam. You get the idea.

Planetgriff will then publish the good ones for all to hear. So if you are a Griff citizen, go to Snowball central in the Citizen suite to sign up for the inaugural ball starting on Monday 10th June. They're jammin'.

Go Snowball
NeonSkye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if Snowball is still active and if anyone was interested in doing one!

-Neon
NeonSkye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that as a "NO" ! Razz

Peace!
fuzzypenguin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. I must admit that I'm not using Griff as much as I thought I would, since I'm at my laptop and using SONAR most of the time. The lack of MIDI import has really gotten me thrown off because I read music and rely on a staff view to compose (as opposed to the piano roll view). But yes, I'm interested in delving deeper.

I have pSyn, mSyn, PocketVoid and PocketPluck plus all the other defaults.

Best,
Scotty
daniel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, minds been wandering.

I'd like to join in too. Been too long away from Griff.

I can set them up to rotate as many times as we like and have as long as we like between 'turns'. Suggest a comfortable turn time of a few days and maybe a couple of turns ?

I've obviously got all the plugins too...

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
http://www.planetgriff.com
NeonSkye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me. I'm ready whenever you set it up. A relaxed turn time and a few rotations works for me. Looking forward to it!

Peace!
NeonSkye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when we start the Snowball, do we each do one track, through different sections? Or do we complete one section with different instruments? I also have all the plugins, but I am guessing that we have to make sure to use the ones that fuzzypenguin has.

Peace!
Barny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: snowball Reply with quote

Snowballs evolve as they roll, no predetermined structure or defined roles. You have to agree on what instruments to use, all to date have been composed using default plug-ins (and default samples). There is also the snowball etiquette (again improvised): You can do what you want to someone elses work however it is obviously bad form to delete an entire drum sequence that someone sweated blood on.
Once rolling, snowballs take on their own entire direction which you can only influence and not steer. A really creative process.
Barny
NeonSkye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I understand basically how it works. I listened to the two snowballs in the Tunes section and can hear a sort of evolution process. It seems like the toughest part is the first entry to get the snowball rolling, but I guess the main thing is to just let it flow and just influence the direction as you said. Snowball seems like a great project to help learn the ways of Griff by seeing how other people use it. I've listened to every song in the Tunes section and have heard many cool sounds that I really like and are very unique. Griff is my favorite sequencer on any platform. I've been able to get music that I hear in my head into Griff a lot easier than any other program so far. The Note Preview is in a large part responsible for that, I believe. Great addition! I used to use Realtime on Atari ST many years ago and had a blast with that one, except it seems like as soon as I got really moving on the piece, it would run out of memory and I would have to go back and edit parts to free up memory and cut the song short. I am amazed at how slowly my memory decreases when I use Griff. The song I am writing now is about 4:30 with about 8 tracks (lots of 1/16 note sequences) and program memory is reading 58% available.

Fuzzypenguin, I also read music and it is a whole different thing using the piano roll, but in the long run, I found that the piano roll seems to let me access my music theory knowledge in an interesting way. It takes a little getting used to, but its worth tinkering with and once you see the connection, Griff supplies a quick way to get music in your head into a tangible form. I think the Snowball will help us both get better at using Griff.
I have Sonar on my home computer, but I've had problems running it for some reason, so for now Griff is the only sequencer I am using.

Peace!
daniel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Snowball created. Reply with quote

Right, I've gone ahead and created a snowball.

read all about it here.

Thanks for prompting us to get this going again and please sign up so It's not just me and barny again.

Daniel Webb
PlanetGriff Citizen
http://www.planetgriff.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlanetGriff.com Forum Index -> PlanetGriff News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: